The education of playing handball in little pupillage
To whom was the book written? Who are addressed or for whom gives help?
For everybody, who likes children. Of course mostly for those, who would like to begin to develop the children’s coordination skills with the use of the ball. Those, who are leading trainings after the school within the framework of a sport organization or a sport club, and for those trainers and physical education teachers, who would like to have ball exercises during the physical education lessons.
In my opinion the education has to be started by that age group, where and with whom the possibility of the development is the biggest during the application of the trainings materials. They are the children namely between the ages 7-10. According to the Hungarian experiences the development in the listed parameters is more moderate in those schools, where the physical education lessons is not hold by specialized teachers, compared with those, where the children are trained by physical education teachers. The benefit of the book is that it can be also used at a sport club level. More clearly, those trainers, who implement the terminologies of the book in the categories listed below at their after school sport group level. They will experience a guaranteed development in the performance of their pupils,
1. in balance perception
2. in depth perception
3. in the perception of rhythm and tempo
4. in speed
5. in skills
6. in coordination
7. in fighting spirit.
Why was the book written?
Firstly because of completion due to the fact that there was not any literature at the international market about the training of the targeted age group, which could have been so structured. Secondly, it is capable to give answers for three main questions in the process of the teaching and education.
What does the book contain?
The little pupillage is the best possible period for the children to learn how to develop their coordination and skills with the help of conscious control. They will be capable to do exercises persistently and to increase their load bearing capacity. They get all of that in a playful way in a really good atmosphere! The advantage of the handball is -compared to other ball games- that it can provide a really versatile education. The physical coordination can be developed already at a young age, which can be a basis for the future. The other superb thing is that the children can become familiar with social thinking at a very early age and they can become an active participant of collaborations for common goals during the games.
During the education of handball three basic athletic skills have to be taught at first. Running, throwing, jumping. The basic of the “Zsiga-method” is that everything what is athletics is important and essential. In the absence of these three basic technics nobody can be successful. How do you keep your body, what is your balance perception, how can you keep yourself in different support positions, in case of falls how can you protect your body from suffers caused by the hits? So the system cannot operate effectively in the absence of the athletics’ and gymnastics’ materials. Because of that the curriculum also contains the essential core elements of the gymnastic and the athletics.
The education has to be organized five times a week and on a yearly basis within 185 hours, according to the followings:
Athletics 30 hours (18+12)
Gymnastic 30 hours (18+12)
Exercises with ball + play of handball 60 hours
Games 65 hours (39+26)
What does the method provide to be unique?
• The priority for the pursuit of playfulness. During the game the realization of the pedagogical principles and the closely, good technics can be expected.
• Everything has to be taught for the children, but only with prioritization!
• During the education process a given stage of development has to be reached, before reaching the further steps!
• The children have to start the trainings in accordance with their development stage!
• The trainer has to be a teacher, rather than a specialist!
• The trainer does not have to correct everything at once!
• The children’s mistakes have to be highlighted for them!
• More time has to be spent with those, who learn with difficulties or slowly!
• The trainings cannot be adult trainings under any circumstances!
How can the book teach or train?
The handling the ball and the movements with the ball have to be developed at an ability level, and coupled with dynamic and explosivity. The difference between movements of the handball player and between any other ball players can be observed already in pupillage, which will only increase with the passage of time. In Hungary the mini handball in two different sizes makes the efficiency of the education possible. The children between the ages 7-8 years are working with a smaller, while the children in age 9 are working with a bigger ball.
The benefit of the mini handball:
• The 6-7 years old children are able to learn some technic with ball,
• the size and the weight of the ball does not hinder the learning process,
• there is not any sense of fear from the ball,
• the phase of the involvement into the game can be started earlier,
• the handball-specific movements can be developed earlier.
The advantages of the special material
Everybody can join at any ages. The only task is to assess the skill level according to the special material. Based on this can the education begins. So when deciding about that who, where and how can start the learning process, not the age is the crucial aspect, but the current skill level.
The process of the education represents the principles and directions listed below:
• Simple → complex exercises
• For a short → for a long term
• On a narrow → on a wide area
• With a few → with more information
• Execute slowly→ execute quickly
• Execute without → execute with defender
The special material enables with a plenty of drawings and methodological analysis to be available for everyone. A few methodological proposals from the material:
• The application of the throwing motion during the games (trainings).
• The teaching of the defense basic situation.
• The sharing of attention while bouncing the ball.
• The preparation of the simple fake run movement.
• The teaching of the shooting into the goal (exercises).